To-day we began our new unit of study by watching this little film about the lion and the mouse. This kind of story is called a fable.
Here were our observations:
- talking animals (lion and mouse)
- each character has one trait
- the lion learns a lesson
- animals help each other (return a favour)
- the ending surprises the lion
- the situation is reversed (the lion saves the mouse, and then the mouse saves the lion)
- the lion has a change of heart
- in the jungle
- in the past (‘many, many years ago’)
- relatively fixed (can be changed, e.g., to the African plain, but not the modern city)
- this story is didactic (its purpose is to teach us something)
- the lesson is that one must help others, that showing kindness earns kindness in return, and that one should never understimate kindness
- Write your own definition of what a fable is.
- Bring your red binder next day.